Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Apple Designs the Hardware and Software. It Works!

The only mobile Operating System (OS) worth mentioning besides Apple's iOS4 is the Android.  Some of you might be aware that the Android runs on multiple mobile devices, such as Motorola's Droid and HTC.

Techtree has a detailed article about the challenges Google faces with the fragmentation of Android versions across multiple devices.  Furthermore, different vendors implement the Android User Interface (UI) differently to differentiate themselves.  Apple's iPhone interface is consistent and familiar.  Making it intuitive for most users after the initial learning curve.

Developers are not well supported through the Android app store.  Piracy is also a problem which Google is trying to address.  A problem that does not exist in Apple's app store.  Google supports paid apps in 13 countries, whereas Apple supports 90 countries.

To summarize, the point is simple.  As a consumer, you are looking for an uncomplicated device.  If developers are well supported, it means more applications in the store.  If the platform is intuitive, the user experience is improved.  

Choose the iPhone until Android becomes better.  It hasn't happened yet.

2 comments:

  1. i think there would be many people out there who would say Andriod is better then the iPhone. Even though you may have consistent interface, some people, like myself, find the iPhone interface very boring. Unlike my HTC (with WinMo) which HTC have customised, the gui is very sexy and on the home page I see clock, plus weather, plus calendar appointments and I can then chose to display different apps, links to websites, a one press shortcut to call my wife and many other things. the iPhone home screen is just a bunch of icons and you can't really do anything or get meaningful info till you open an app. Also you say in your title "It Works" but my mates wife just updated her 3Gs with the new OS and apprently its constantly crashing now. He asked me to look at it and I said i think it's meant to just work... ask steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admittedly the widget feature would be nice on the iPhone. When I did own an O2 years ago I could just turn it on and glance to see calendar and tasks.

    I kept the heading catchy. To be more precise the heading should have been, "Apple's Business Model of Designing Both the Hardware and Software Platform Provides a Compelling Ecosystem For Both Developers and Consumers which is well Coordinated and Lowers the Development Barrier for Developers by Reducing the diversity in Hardware and OS Versions".

    Actually, come to think of it I should have put that in the first paragraph.

    I just ordered the iPhone 4 myself... iOS4 on 3G is not working well for me either. As blogged earlier.

    Despite some gripes, overall iPhone is still the choice phone for me.

    ReplyDelete